- A PERSISTENT SORE especially if it is in the mouth, on the lip or on tongue. Long standing sores due to smoking, sharp edge of teeth, or dental plates that do not fit, can develop into cancer if not taken care of .Common 'Cold Sore' disappears after a few days - Cancer does not. If any such sore persists more than a few days, see your doctor.
- LUMPS OR MASSES which appear where none were present previously should arouse suspicion of cancer. This is especially true in the case of women and is the most readily cured if treated early.
- UNEXPLAINED OR ABNORMAL BLEEDING FROM ANY BODY OPENING should be quickly investigated by a physician. Coughing up or vomiting blood, passing blood in the urine and rectal bleeding are common symptoms of cancer. In women the first sign of cancer of the uterus is often a bloody discharge occurring between menstrual periods or after menopause.
- PERSISTENT INDIGESTION OR CHANGE IN BOWEL HABITS, while usually due to other causes, are often caused in the intestinal tract and should be reported.
- PERSISTENT HOARSENESS OR COUGH of abnormal duration deserves a careful examination by your doctor. Cancer of the larynx (voice box) or respiratory passages or lung may be the cause.
- UNEXPLAINED LOSS OF WEIGHT may be due to many things but may also be due to hidden cancer.
If you note any of the danger signals, especially if you are beyond middle life, it is advisable to bring them to the attention of your doctor.
But if you learn to recognize them in the earliest stages, and seek a doctor's help you may save yourself untold suffering.